<VV> Corvair engine - update

Roger Atkinson ilikeoldcars at bellsouth.net
Wed Dec 13 23:00:48 EST 2006

Okay, a couple of things first.

1) I don't really appreciate the fact that some have basically called me an
idiot or not worthy to be a Corvair owner because I didn't have a spare belt or
didn't notice what happened immediately. I have owned the car a total of one
week, have never owned a Corvair before and am still in the honeymoon phase of
ownership. Yes I should have been more observant but we all make mistakes.
Well maybe some of you don't but most of us do.

2) The car has maybe 100 miles on a ground up total professional restoration.
There are not rusty parts to go bad etc. So whatever the problem it isn't from
bad parts unless it was mechanical failure of new stuff.

I put a new belt on the car, started it and let it run. No noises, etc so I
am assuming all is well - time will tell.

Bob (the guy I bought the car from) called me back and told me basically the
same thing you all did. He said his guys went through the car getting it ready
for me and should have noticed the belt was too tight, loose or worn. He said
he should have double checked before I left but didn't. He told me that if the
engine needed rebuilt or any repair that he would pay for all the parts and
labor. I can't complain about that offer.

So bottom line is - I feel much better about it now.

Roger