<VV> Corvair engine - update

Lonny Clark lclarkpdx at gmail.com
Thu Dec 14 13:38:55 EST 2006

I'll put in another plug for loose belts here. 20 years or so ago, when I
was young-and foolish (that's one word, right?) I drove my Corvair for 8
months with one ear broken off the generator. Yes, only one bolt holding it
in place. The belt was so loose you could lift it a half inch out of the
pulley. Never did lose the belt. As a matter of fact, when I started the
restoration a couple of years ago, that belt (and the broken generator) was
still on it.

The guy who rebuilt my engine (early engine) modified it so an alternator
could be mounted, so I bought an alternator for it. Guess what? I lost the
belt the second time I drove it and lost a valve seat. I should have left
the broken generator and the 20-year-old belt on it.

Lonny