<VV> To Telescope or Not To Telescope - That is the Question

ChiefTAM at aol.com ChiefTAM at aol.com
Thu Dec 14 17:39:42 EST 2006

OK, today I took the gas tank out of my 69 Monza Convertible to have it
cleaned and sealed so it is nice and neat to feed my newly rebuilt 110.   (by the
way, found a place near me that is cleaning, sealing, and painting the
outside of my gas tanks...two as I have an extra that I am getting ready for the  65
Corsa Turbo Convertible project....for $125.00 each.  I didn't think  that
was too bad.)

While I was under the car, inspecting things after taking the tank out, I
observed how open the steering column is at this time.  When I purchased my  69
Convertible, it had in it the stock black column and black Monza steering
wheel, but the previous owner also gave me a 69 telescoping column and  wheel.
The column is in pretty good shape, just needs a good cleaning, but  the wood
(?) wheel has a crack in it, which I'm sure can be fixed by someone in  VV
land.

Anyway, I got to thinking, are there any benefits to putting in the
telescoping column?  I think the black Monza column and wheel look good,  but the
chrome and wood wheel looks good too, and it is a bit more rare.  I  don't believe
the car came with the telescoping column, (don't know if there was  a trim
tag code for that) but would it hurt anything to put it in?  Looks,
performance, scoring in Concours, etc?  Thoughts about changing out the  column?  It
doesn't look like too big a job.  Also, does anyone know  if the turn signal plate
that causes the turn signals to go off after a turn is  the same from the
standard column to the telescoping one?  Are the columns  that same length?
Thanks for your comments.

Todd (bored while waiting for my tanks) in Texas