<VV> To Telescope or Not To Telescope - That is the Question

airvair airvair at richnet.net
Thu Dec 14 22:20:13 EST 2006

Todd,

The column is easy to change, especially on a '67-9, which has a pot
joint just above the steering box. Very accessable place to separate the
two.

As to the chrome, ALL Monzas should have a chrome applique on the spokes
(though some Monzas have been found with factory-installed 500 wheels.)
The wheel and trim (if present) is no different on a tele column. The
stamdard horn buttons ARE, though. The '67-9 tele column has a horn
button reminiscent of a 500, with just a plain bowtie on it, whereas the
standard Monza button has a plastic insert that says "Monza" in it.
Further, you apparently have a wood wheel on the tele column, each of
which was available with or without the other. Together, they make for a
nice package. BUT, BTW, a '69 didn't have the wood wheel available, so
putting it on a '69 wouldn't be "factory" kosher. Just how "stock" do
you want to be with it?

The turn signal switch is the same on ALL '67-9 cars (the Boyne switch),
despite the gross error in the factory repair manual showing the Delco
switch as well. No '67-9 cars use the Delco switch. Period. As far as
the tele column goes, the Boyne has no problem handling the duty, so no
differences are necessary.

I know of this all by my extensive experience, as '67-9 cars are my
specialty. I just this summer put in a tele column in my '69, the saga
of which was in a recent CC. I also have a tele column w/wood wheel in
my '67 convert, which came out of another '67 convert parts car. So if
you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask me. I'll be glad to help.

-Mark