<VV> Brake Light Problem

Bill H. gojoe283 at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 14 18:13:20 EST 2006

                                   B"H

Danny:  As per a previous post, just purchase an
inexpensive voltmeter from your local Radio Shack or
auto parts store.  I'd suggest a Volt/Dwell/Tachomoter
combo; I bought one of these a long time ago for cheap
(around $10. maybe?) and it proves invaluable in all
sorts of automotive tasks like tuneups and
troubleshooting.

You should use the voltmeter to measure voltage at the
connector when the brake pedal is actuated.
Disconnect the wire at the socket, put the plus wire
from the voltmeter on the brake light wire and the
negative wire to a good ground.  Do you get 12 volts?
If not, then trace the wire back to the harness and
test whatever connections you can find for that wire.

You may have a broken wire someplace.  I don't think
it's a short, since a short circuit would probably
blow the fuse which would prevent both brake lights
from working.

Could your harness be defective?  You can test
continuity from two ends of a wire with a Ohmmeter.
Use the RX-1 setting.   Radio Shack sells a
volt/ohmmeter combo for cheap.  Make sure there is
continuity between the wire at the terminal and the
main harness.

You can use a needle to pierce the insulation of the
wire at the end opposite the light socket, if you get
desperate, to test both voltage and continuity, but do
this only as a last resort.  If you do pierce the
insulation, use a needle (connect a wire to the
needle) and seal the point of piercing with electrical
tape when you're done.  Again, only do this as a last
resort.

My bet's on a broken wire or broken connection from
somewhere in the harness, to the connector at the
light socket.

Another measure, if you're desperate, is to run
another wire from the working brake light to the
non-working one.  And I'll probably get heck from
folks in the group for that, but it would work.  It
would be a shame to alter a new, OEM harness.

Good luck...Bill H.
"Suzy the Little Blue Coupe" 69 Monza 110 PG

> My 67 has all new wire harnesses, end to end. All
new
> bulbs, all new fuses, all new everything. In fact,
on
> a good humor side, I am a step or two and a paint
job
> away, from being on Darth's Trail.
> So, just wondering, with all that is replaced has
> anybody ever had just the left(Driver's side) brake
> light not operate?
> Let me explain further: All other light functions
work
> in that fixture(Running lights and signal and even
> e-Flasher) just not the brake light on the left
side.
> Strange part is that the feed for both brake lights
> come through the left side.
> I swapped the new bulbs out, and the problem did not
> follow the bulb, it stayed with the fixture. I even
> cut the new harness and installed even newer
sockets,
> on both sides... Still no left brake light.
> Now, is it possible to have a bad ground and still
all
> the other functions work in that fixture?
> Before you reply, I did take all the rear light
> buckets off a while back and completely cleaned them
> and replaced the lenses and all. I was having the
> problem before as well, and Still the same problem.
> even took my little wire-ball-brush and spun it
around