<VV> To Telescope or Not To Telescope - That is the Question

LastHamlet lasthamlet at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 14 20:33:00 EST 2006

Seeing how I am LastHamlet, to be's or not to be's
seem to be my specialty.
I have tele as well, and they are rare for the 67-69,
and a very expensive column to have I might add.
There are only a few drawbacks. 1) it may or may not
have been stock with your 69, and sometimes they can
be touchy hooking up the horn button.
Also make sure this is a 67-69 tele steering column,
with the little lever coming out of the horn button,
and it will have a flasher switch on the right side.
The upsides far out weigh the downsides, however.
First, of course, it is a pricey add on and in my
opinion adds value.
And the really great part is the directional switch is
so easy to change in a tele. It has a bearing that
uses an allen to hold it in and slides right up, then
you tele the steering, and the wire housing slides
right down the shaft. Also, another good part is the
signal switch is the same... And even better than
that, I am the very fellow who tracked down those
Boyne Switches so Clark's could now have them in
stock... So what used to be a problem with no
replacement switches, is no longer a problem. Of
course, seeing how the switches are the same, this was
a growing concern to 67-69 owners with broken signal
ears.
If I done nothing good, at least I was able to track
those down for the group..
With all that said, I would say "To Be" is a real good
option, as the 67-69 style colums also take the same
steering box as the regular, so no worries on the
shaft length.
Others may say no, but if I had the choice, knowing
what I have been through, tele-steering has turned out
to be a bit of a blessing.
Hopes this helps,
Danny Barber

Anyway, I got to thinking, are there any benefits to
putting in the
telescoping column?  I think the black Monza column
and wheel look
good,  but the
chrome and wood wheel looks good too, and it is a bit
more rare.