<VV> Corvair engine - update (humor?)

Louis C. Armer,Jr. carmerjr at mindspring.com
Thu Dec 14 22:54:37 EST 2006

At 01:36 PM 12/14/2006, you wrote:
> [...]
>>
>>1) I don't really appreciate the fact that some have basically called me an
>>idiot or not worthy to be a Corvair owner because I didn't have a
>>spare belt or
>>didn't notice what happened immediately.
>

>Ignore them.   The rest of the others are pretty nice guys.   Take
>note that the nice guys didn't send you criticisms...  ;)

>I, FRONTMAN AM ONE OF THE NICEST OF THE NICE
>
>>I have owned the car a total of one
>>week, have never owned a Corvair before and am still in the
>>honeymoon phase of
>>ownership.
>

>You'll pick up on things as you go along.    Corvairs, like any
>other somewhat unique marque, require "learning".

>YES STUPID IS AS STUPID DOES AND STUPID WILL TELL YOU SO
>
>>Yes I should have been more observant but we all make mistakes.
>>Well maybe some of you don't but most of us do.
>

>Perfection is an impossible acquisition.   Those who never make
>mistakes or commit errors need to learn to walk on water.
>OR THEY AT LEAST NEED TO KNOW WHERE THE ROCKS ARE............:-)
>
>>2) The car has maybe 100 miles on a ground up total professional restoration.
>>There are not rusty parts to go bad etc. So whatever the problem it
>>isn't from
>>bad parts unless it was mechanical failure of new stuff.
>>
>>I put a new belt on the car, started it and let it run. No noises, etc so I
>>am assuming all is well - time will tell.
>

>Corvair engines are pretty tough.   You have to really abuse one to
>damage it if it's in any sort of condition to start with.   You
>likely did nothing at all to the engine.   If you got it really hot
>but it seems OK now, I'd not worry much about it other than changing
>the oil and filter...  overheated oil can get "damaged" and end up
>with coking debris in it if it was really cooked up while flowing
>around and through the overheated cylinder heads etc so you may
>wanna change the oil and filter just to be safe.
>
>By the way, Corvair engines naturally run rather hot to begin with,
>buzzing right along with cylinder head temps of around 300 degrees
>or more and perfectly happy while doing so, which means they really
>like high quality oil... like synthetic.

>OKAY NOW TONY SHOULD TELL YOU WHAT WEIGHT OIL AND WHAT HE USES IN HIS CORVAIRS

>Never skimp on oil with a Corvair.   Use the best you can.  It's
>cheap insurance.

>>Bob (the guy I bought the car from) called me back and told me basically the
>>same thing you all did. He said his guys went through the car
>>getting it ready
>>for me and should have noticed the belt was too tight, loose or worn. He said
>>he should have double checked before I left but didn't. He told me
>>that if the
>>engine needed rebuilt or any repair that he would pay for all the parts and
>>labor. I can't complain about that offer.
>

>Tell 'em to change the oil and put synthetic in it...  ;)   Then go
>on down the road and don't worry about it.

AH YES ................ON THE ROAD AGAIN,  MY FAVORITE CORVAIR SONG

>By the way, if you have the choice, use a fully wrapped belt and not
>a "cut" belt.   The wrapped belts will slip in the pulleys under
>rapid engine acceleration/deceleration (such as aggressive gear
>shifting) and thus are much less likely to flip off the pulleys or
>get stretched to the point that they break their reinforcement
>fibers which guarantees that they'll come off the engine.
>
>The "rule of thumb" for wrapped belts is to tighten them just snug
>enough to still allow you to spin the gen/alt fan pulley with
>pressure from your thumb.  Wrapped belts done this way *will* stay on.
THE THUMB RULE IS IMPLEMENTED WITH THE ENGINE NOT RUNNING ;-)  WELL DUH !!!

>>So bottom line is - I feel much better about it now.
>

>Likely will be just fine.     Change the oil, though... and use a
>wrapped belt.
>AND ALWAYS LISTEN TO TONY"U" AND FRONTMAN
>

>tony..
>
>FrontMan
   Deckrug Enterprises Inc.,LTD, Esquire
   Purveyor of lightly used but never abused Corvair Parts
   Between, Alabama 36099-7317
///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

CORSA Member
CORSA Tri-membership Chairman
Corvair Atlanta Member
Corvair Atlanta BOD