<VV> Rich Thompson's Spyder & Concours Question

Russ Moorhouse corvair65 at verizon.net
Fri Dec 15 11:21:59 EST 2006

I will probably never restore my Corsa to concours standards, even though it
would be a good candidate, considering it's long list of original options
and it still has it's original engine and transmission, along with paper
work to back it up from the original owner.

When I do get around to restoring my car, there were some things I wanted to
do, but was concerned it would detract from it's value, should I want to go
ahead and go for a concours car.  The major thing was to change the color of
the interior to either fawn or white, rather than the saddle, that it is
now.  I was under the assumption that concours required it to be restored to
what the build tags have on them, but after reading about Rich's car in
Hemming Classic Car this month, I see that he changed from a black interior
to a red interior.

So, am I right in assuming, that concours judging, has nothing to do with
the cars build tags?  If that being the case, how far can you deviate from
stock in the way of paint and interior schemes?  For instance in my case,
could I use a different dark metallic green, than original and then use a
white interior, with matching exterior paint to the interior metal panels (I
hate the gold it is now), which wasn't originally offered?  Does having the
original drive train count for anything?

This just blew my idea of what concours was about.  Especially when later
model cars have build plates that tell you how they were built.

Russ Moorhouse
'65 Corsa coupe 140 HP
Group Corvair Member
Corsa Member