Concours Classification Question(Was: <VV> Rich Thompson's Spyder)

Harry Jensen, CORSA Executive Secretary corsa at corvair.org
Fri Dec 15 12:05:43 EST 2006

Hello--

I assume you are talking about CORSA Concours when you say 'concours'. The
answers below are based upon the presumption that you want to compete in
'Factory Stock Restored' class.

If you do not want to compete in 'Factory Stock Restored' then you can do
pretty much want you want because the judges only judge on quality, not
originality.

At 10:21 AM 12/15/2006, Russ Moorhouse wrote:
>When I do get around to restoring my car, there were some things I wanted
>to do, but was concerned it would detract from it's value, should I want
>to go ahead and go for a concours car.  The major thing was to change the
>color of the interior to either fawn or white, rather than the saddle,
>that it is now.  I was under the assumption that concours required it to
>be restored to what the build tags have on them, but after reading about
>Rich's car in Hemming Classic Car this month, I see that he changed from a
>black interior to a red interior.
>
>So, am I right in assuming, that concours judging, has nothing to do with
>the cars build tags?

The codes in the body tag in Factory Stock Restored should match the color
of the interior or exterior.

>If that being the case, how far can you deviate from stock in the way of
>paint and interior schemes?

If you want to compete in Factory Stock Restored, you should stick to stock
color layout.

>For instance in my case, could I use a different dark metallic green, than
>original and then use a white interior, with matching exterior paint to
>the interior metal panels (I hate the gold it is now), which wasn't
>originally offered?

You could, but then you would not be in Factory Stock Restored...

>  Does having the original drive train count for anything?

Absolutely. With a '68 or '69, it has to be the original engine or a
service engine. On other years, the production date of the engine should be
within a 6 week window of the vehicle production.

--H