<VV> Steering Wheel Removal and Turn Signals on 69

Bill H. gojoe283 at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 17 21:33:59 EST 2006

                                    B"H

Hi all...well I removed my wheel today and took a look
at the turn signal switch...looks like there were two
types of signal switches used on 69s.  Fortunately it
appears that the turn lever cam is replaceable and is
actually quite reasonable in price...but there are two
different types of cams.

One, as you could see in MotorMite (Help!) 49303 is a
large two-piece unit that fits around the perimiter of
the switch; auto parts stores list this as being for a
'69 Corvair.  No stores had this one in stock but Auto
Zone can special order it if you need it.

However, this is totally different than my cam switch.
 I need the unit SM15, which looks exactly what mine
looks like.  This one I purchased through E-bay from
Van's Auto Salvage for $12.  Hopefully it'll be the
right one.

Steve Goodman's excellent article on Body and Chassis
Electrical (Chapter 23 in the Corvair Basics book)
explains that the plastic "ears" on the ends of the
'67-69 cam broke off when drivers cancelled the turn
signals by hand).  That's exactly what I found; both
tabs were completely broken on each side.  These
switches have the "lane change" feature which was part
of the new-for-'67 safety package.

I was able to put everything back in place so I can
drive the car tomorrow, G-d willing.  Hopefully the
switch will arrive sooner than later so I can get that
done and out of my mind as a "to do."

One thing I noticed was that the screw used to mount
the turn signal lever for some reason was too long to
fit correctly.  I don't know why; I put everything
back the way it's supposed to be (I think!!!) and
everything works fine, but I had to replace that screw
with a shorter one.

I also got a '67 Impala SS steering wheel with chrome
spokes and horn buttons on the top two spokes.  I
really like the chrome and the spoke-mounted switches,
but the wheel trim doesn't fit on the Monza wheel
(it's close but no cigar).  However it looks like the
entire '67 wheel assembly will fit on the Monza
column.  But I will need to repair the Impala wheel
(major cracks in several places).  I see Clark's sells
steering wheel repair epoxy.  If I can use this, paint
the wheel black to match my interior, and clean the
chrome spoke insert, I'll have a classy wheel.  It
looks like my "Monza" horn button WILL fit in the
Impala SS wheel, with the mountng hardware.

See y'all later folks...Bill H.