<VV> 12SI Alternator Question

Geoffrey A Johnson geoffj at unm.edu
Mon Dec 18 00:17:08 EST 2006

I have been chasing a few gremlins on my 63 coupe.

The battery dies pretty quickly and it never seems to charge.  This is
12SI with proper wiring and soldered connections.  It uses a GM
truck junction
block with a voltage sense wire.  The question I have is....

On most  10SI and 12SI alternators there is a resistor that runs between
two of the screws that hold the regulator in.   Now I have Bob Helt's
diagram here and I can not figure out which resistor it is.   Maybe R2 or
R3.   Anyway it is the first one to come out when pulling the regulator.

Now this one did not have it when I got it.   So I had added one out of a
parts alternator when I built it.

So which one is it, and does it belong there?   I pulled several apart
today at the Junkyard and they all had it.   I will do all the other
normal tests next, just want to know about the resistor.

On a separate note, I rebuilt the starter and made it a nice new soldered
harness today.   Starts nicely now.

Thanks
Geoff