<VV> Fan Belt Adjustment

Sethracer at aol.com Sethracer at aol.com
Sun Dec 17 23:10:28 EST 2006

In a message dated 12/15/2006 12:43:59 PM Pacific Standard Time,
ronh at owt.com writes:

It's my  understanding that a slipping belt will get hot (also logical) and
fail  rapidly.
RonH

Well - I suppose that if it is dry and the whole of the rear of the engine
is dry (not too common on the Vair Motor) a loose belt could get hot and fail.
But I have run well-lubricated (CRC Silicone Spray) Corvair belts for many,
many  hours - at high speeds -  and never had a failure. Most of the Silicone
sprays leave a slippery silicone residue behind as the carrier fluid
evaporates.  This is what you need to remain on the pulley/belt system. I have run them
with  and without spring-loader idler pulleys installed. Without them, a
close-to factory tension is best (It is hard to recommend the
"TURN-THE-ALTERNATOR" test with the silicone residure coating in place). The  little slippage
from the lube is not really enough to affect charging.  Although, in fairness, I
am talking racing/performance use, not high  electrical load usage. And I
would usually rather the belt slip a bit on a  pulley, than grab ahold and
depart!   -  Seth