<VV> one more thought

Roger Atkinson ilikeoldcars at bellsouth.net
Mon Dec 18 09:59:01 EST 2006

All,

I am not an unreasonable person.  I grew up on a farm and have farmed most of my life so I have lived a simple life and tried to treat people with respect in hopes they will do the same to me.  I am 61 years old, never have had a lot and finally was able to buy an antique car - something I have wanted for many years.  I was very excited to have finally joined the ranks of an old car owner.  Instead of jsut reading about them in magazines and the internet and going to car shows, I was finally going ot be able to participate.  BUT when my fan belt broke many of you called me an idiot and question if I was worthy to be a Corvair owner.  I felt very insulted by those comments.  And then some folks wrote me in private emails telling me how stupid I was to not have a spare belt with me.  I ahve never owned a Corvair before - haven't even owned an old car before so I am not as experienced as most of you.  On the day of my incident - which fortunately doesn't appear to have damaged the engine - I was out enjoying what I have dreamed of doing for many years - driving an old car.  My excitement was short lived with the fan belt coming loose and I panicked so I came on here to ask for advice and some felt that it was their duty to insult me instead of help me.

Yes, think what you want.  Tell me I am leaving mad or suggest I am writing in third person (that has to be the most idiotic thing I have ever had said to me Mr. Yarnell - you have never met me or written me but you insult my character!!!) or say I am over reacting - whatever.  All I wanted was to enjoy the fulfillment of my dream.  I wasn't looking for special treatment - I wanted to make friends in this hobby that you all have had the pleasure of enjoying long before I have.  All I was saying in my other email was that each of you should be careful what you say to people here - for me you took my dream and have made it less fun that I had imagined it would be.  Some of us aren't as lucky as you all ahve been - I had to wait until I was 61 just to own an old car.  I would jsut like to enjoy it without being insulted publically and privately on a old car discussion group.

Roger