<VV> one more thought

Tony Underwood tonyu at roava.net
Mon Dec 18 16:29:38 EST 2006

At 06:59 AM 12/18/2006, <>< wrote:
>All,
>
>I am not an unreasonable person.  I grew up on a farm and have
>farmed most of my life so I have lived a simple life and tried to
>treat people with respect in hopes they will do the same to me.  I
>am 61 years old, never have had a lot and finally was able to buy an
>antique car - something I have wanted for many years.  I was very
>excited to have finally joined the ranks of an old car
>owner.  Instead of jsut reading about them in magazines and the
>internet and going to car shows, I was finally going ot be able to
>participate.  BUT when my fan belt broke many of you called me an idiot

Uh...  I don't recall seeing anybody call anyone an idiot.

>and question if I was worthy to be a Corvair owner.

Of the HUNDREDS of people on this list, you're saying that "many"
insulted you, as mentioned below...?

>I felt very insulted by those comments.  And then some folks wrote
>me in private emails telling me how stupid I was to not have a spare
>belt with me.

Consider the sources of those e-mails calling you "stupid".   They
were out of line for a reply to a posted question, public or
private.     Now, of the e-mails you got which tried to help,
compared to the e-mails that you considered offensive... what's the
ratio of "good" vs "bad"...?

>I ahve never owned a Corvair before - haven't even owned an old car
>before so I am not as experienced as most of you.  On the day of my
>incident - which fortunately doesn't appear to have damaged t he
>engine - I was out enjoying what I have dreamed of doing for many
>years - driving an old car.  My excitement was short lived with the
>fan belt coming loose and I panicked so I came on here to ask for
>advice and some felt that it was their duty to insult me instead of
>help me.

...maybe you're a bit thin-skinned...?   If the e-mails you received
which you felt were offensive came off as such because of a
misunderstanding, wouldn't it be the thing to do to turn the other
cheek and accept that they likely weren't malicious to begin with?

>Yes, think what you want.  Tell me I am leaving mad or suggest I am
>writing in third person (that has to be the most idiotic thing I
>have ever had said to me Mr. Yarnell - you have never met me or
>written me but you insult my character!!!)

...I'm trying to see how Mr Yarnell insulted your character...  ?

>or say I am over reacting - whatever.  All I wanted was to enjoy the
>fulfillment of my dream.

Then why not go ahead and do so?

>I wasn't looking for special treatment - I wanted to make friends in
>this hobby

You still can.

>that you all have had the pleasure of enjoying long before I
>have.  All I was saying in my other email was that each of you
>should be careful what you say to people here - for me you took my
>dream and have made it less fun that I had imagined it would
>be.  Some of us aren't as lucky as you all ahve been - I had to wait
>until I was 61 just to own an old car.  I would jsut like to enjoy
>it without being insulted publically and privately on a old car
>discussion group.

Then the thing to do is chalk up the bad as not worthy of getting
excited about, observe the good and take the sage advice from the
helpful sorts as intended, and go enjoy the car.

...what does the opinion of somebody you've never seen and don't know
have to do with anything in the first place?     Relax, enjoy, go on
down the road happy.

tony..