<VV> CCE Nostalgia

J R Read_HML hmlinc at sbcglobal.net
Fri Dec 22 02:40:14 EST 2006

Since it is so quiet - everyone off at parties? - I thought I'd send a note
about the CCE meeting this past Wednesday evening.  It was the annual
holiday party and First annual Nostalgia Night.  Yours Truly forgot to bring
any memorabilia, but that is OK because plenty of other stuff was available.

Some of the highlights were - A Monza Jr., a (working) dealership neon
CORVAIR sign, and a very pristine Huffy "Corvair" (girl's model) bicycle.
Untold numbers of pictures from over the years, tin toys (some I've never
seen before - like a double ramp Rampside) and various autocross videos were
also on hand.  No, we did NOT drag out the vacuum tapes, but who knows -
maybe next year.

Stories (of course) went with some of the items - probably the most exciting
involved a large camp fire supplemented by magnesium fans and water.  The
advise with that story was - don't try this at home!

Anyway, it was a fun evening and I learned some things about the early days
of CCE and CORSA from the "old timers" who showed up.  In the 60s, I was
into antique F cars ('31 Roadster, '35 two door, '36 Cabriolet) and did not
own a Corvair (that actually was usable) until about 16 or so years ago.
So, I still consider myself a newcomer to Vairs when I'm around this group
of folks.

As an aside... lclc and HJ gave an overview of the planned Detroit (area)
convention.  They say that it is a MUST DO convention.  CORSA will be
allowed into areas at GM where the general public never gets to go.  One of
those areas is the "warehouse" of past auto show and concept cars.  This
sounds like a once in a lifetime opportunity to me.  Make your reservations!

Enjoy your family and friends over the holiday season

Later, JR