<VV> Grease etc and plastic storage bags

BBRT chsadek at adelphia.net
Fri Dec 22 12:53:41 EST 2006

Anecdotally, from a story on VV years ago, one of us passed away in FL and
had a gazilliion parts all labeled and marked in plastic bags. Club members
went to help the widow and found most of it rusted and
unusable/unserviceable ... I have personally had to have a Corvair crank
polished that was coated with WD 40, plastic-bagged and kept in an insulated
garage which was sometimes heated - MD and VA.  Axle grease as PL Booth
pointed out, if heavy enough will probably do the job.
IMHO, the products which leave a film, modern variants of Cosmoline;
Rustlick 631, Formula 101 Corrosion Suppresant", mfg by Crown, Boeing T-9,
along with desiccant are the way to go. For me, I have decided that wax
paper wrapped and twist wrapped or taped tightly over the film is the best
method, trying to duplicate the way bearings come tightly wrapped in oily
paper. Then the desiccant inside a tightly wrapped paper bag.  Still worried
about the condensation within the plastic bag. I am especially concerned
about crankshafts, cam shafts, & bearings.

Also, cars or parts from the dry areas of the country will immediately
develop rust when brought back to the humid areas. Take immediate
precautions.

Any other ideas about storage containers or cleaners?

Chuck S
BBRT

From: "Stephen Upham" <contactsmu at sbcglobal.net>