<VV> Help needed with a CHT gugage

J R Read_HML hmlinc at sbcglobal.net
Fri Dec 29 20:50:52 EST 2006

Hey Bob....
You should look for something that STARTS around 200 - 250 and goes to at
least 550.  I've only used the stock Vair (Spyder or Corsa dash) ones, so
don't know if such an animal exists outside the Corvair world.  BTW - your
FORMER Rampside sports a Spyder dash nowadays!

Typical - cruising - CHT on a Vair (my experience) is around 275 - 325.  You
don't get too excited until it goes over 450.  At around the 500 mark,
things are starting to get soft - so you want to stay away from that range.
Ever seen the head gasket impressions left in a removed head?  They got
there .... somehow - and not JUST from torque.

Others on VV have said in the past that they commonly drive in the 450 to
500 range.  That would scare me.

Later, JR

'61 Rampside Standard 4/110
'65 Monza Convertible 4/140