Why 360 deg. is not enough Re: <VV> Help needed with a CHT gugage

FrankCB at aol.com FrankCB at aol.com
Sat Dec 30 13:27:23 EST 2006

For many years we drove "Joe Cool" (1966 95 PG A/C  coupe) to which I had
added a Stewart Warner CHT gauge (sold specifically for  Corvairs) that went up
to 600 deg. F.  I calibrated the gauge in a hot  silicone oil bath using a lab
thermometer (what, me anal??)  and  it usually read 350 deg. F. under normal
driving.  However on two  occasions we were glad to have higher capability.
One was driving home  from an autocross on only ONE carb and the other was a 7
mile trip home  with no functioning fan (harmonic balancer slipping).  In both
case we  drove only until the temp went to 450 deg. F and then pulled off the
road to  cool down the engine before proceeding.  If we had had a CHT gauge
that was  limited to 360 deg. F. we would have been driving blind and could have
seriously  overheated the engine.
    Needless to say, when the time finally came  for "Joe Cool" to go to his
final resting place, that Stewart  Warner gauge and sensor were removed before
he left us.
    Frank "even ordinary Corvairs need CHT gauges"  Burkhard

In a message dated 12/29/2006 8:44:45 PM Eastern Standard Time,