<VV> Rad, are you out there, or what about a PG FC with 3:27?

Mikeamauro at aol.com Mikeamauro at aol.com
Sat Dec 30 13:18:24 EST 2006

I recently send this email (per below) to "Rad," and got a bounce.  Rad, if
you are out there please respond. (Also anyone else with a salient  comment)
TKS.

>>>Rad: I have a question about  your post from October 04 @:
_http://rad.davis.home.comcast.net/RadFAQ/whybrier.txt_
(http://rad.davis.home.comcast.net/RadFAQ/whybrier.txt)

"...p.s.-- After Harry remarked about the noise level of his powerglide
'brier, I am compelled to respond:  Yes, it's noisier than my car, counting  wind
and tire noise, but the largest sources of noise are 1) decayed window and
door weatherstrips (especially the vent-window weatherstrips) and 2) the front
tires (I got an all-season radial, and would recommend a normal passenger car
radial for reduced noise).  The engine is a pleasant, distant hum now that  I
have all the stock air cleaner, lid insulation, the 3.27 rearend and a
6-cylinder granada muffler installed.  With luggage on the lid you almost  can't
hear the engine.

Rad, I have a 3:27 in my 67 P.G., factory  air, 110 coupe, and it works out
quite well. To qualify, the engine is not  stock, but rather is .040 over,
balanced, 260 duration cam, head quench modified  to .032 (with compression ratio
restored to stock 9.5:1), slightly modified  (high-stall) converter,
electronic ignition, and a Safeguard spark knock  control. It has other improvements,
but, other than sitting on 205/70R 14"  tires, the additional modifications do
not directly affect driveability. All  this said, the car is zippy around
town, but is also an excellent cruiser at  speed (can run the highway without its
tongue hanging out). I should mention we  live in flat, Florida.

Where I'm going with this is my wife's 64  P.G., 110 Greenbrier has basically
the same engine modifications as the 67  coupe--and too, is air
conditioned--except it has a 3:55 rear. Based on the  good results with a 3:27 axle in the
67 coupe, I've considered going to a 3:27  in the Greenbrier. I think I read
your post to say you have a van and it is  P.G. equipped + 3:27 rear gear?
Although I've looked, you are the first person  I've heard using a 3:27 rear in a
P.G. FC; if I've read correctly, would you  mind elaborating on the
driveability of this combination?

I would appreciate any  information you care to share.

Best regards,
Mike  Mauro<<<

Thank you,
Mike Mauro