<VV> RE: caged nut repair/ proper materials

mhicks130 at cox.net mhicks130 at cox.net
Wed Feb 1 17:39:45 EST 2006

All these suspension parts are supposed to use Grade 8 bolts, Grade 8
nuts and (if used) hardened washers.
I don't know if stainless steel has a rating of 8 or more but the
tensile strength ie shattering of the metal is lower
than regular Grade 8 metal. No I don't remember where or who quoted
that to me but if you used the Grade 8
items you would insure your safety.

Chuck Armer

Stainless steel fasteners are not as strong as grade 8 alloy steel fasteners.  I don't know if the nut in question requires grade 8 or not, it seems to just hold the suspension onto the body so you should be OK unless you pop a wheelie!  That's probably NOT correct though and I would think it a good idea to use grade 8 and do some kind of corrosion protection on that.

Tensile strength has more to do with yielding (deforming) and then breaking than "shattering".  With most steels, when you get really high tensile strength, the more likely it is to shatter - the less impact strength it has.

mike
(sometimes you feel like a nut...)