<VV> Oil Pan questions...

Duane, Jim (US SSA) Jim.Duane at it.BAESystems.com
Thu Feb 2 07:56:17 EST 2006

True.

I used to coat a cork gasket with a thin veneer of silicone as, try as I
might, I always get seepage (soaking really) after a preiod of time.
The silicone gasket does work for me, I figure, because it had the
coating of silicone.

JED

-----Original Message-----
From: virtualvairs-bounces at corvair.org
[mailto:virtualvairs-bounces at corvair.org] On Behalf Of corvairs
Sent: Wednesday, February 01, 2006 3:49 PM
To: Duane, Jim (US SSA)
Cc: virtualvairs at corvair.org; J R Read_HML
Subject: Re: <VV> Oil Pan questions...

Jim - The truth is, there are a lot of things that work - An irony about
silicone is that, when used in flat gaskets, it is NOT one of the better
sealing materials. It's resistance to heat (only slightly better than
Viton) and to age hardening  are good points, but have nothing to do, at
least in the short run, with sealing. We sell silicone gaskets as well,
but don't believe that they really make the best pan or rocker cover
gaskets. Cork-nitrile, longer bolts and lock washers is the best sealing
combination. Of course there are many other gaskets/materials that work
as well. Lon

www.corvairunderground.com