<VV> '65-'66 Steering Columns and Boxes

Sethracer at aol.com Sethracer at aol.com
Fri Feb 3 11:04:38 EST 2006

In a message dated 2/3/2006 7:33:24 AM Pacific Standard Time,
corvair at serenska.com writes:

My  rapidly declining memory has failed me.  I'm pretty sure I recall
that there was a manufacturing change part-way through the '65 model
year such that an early '65 tele column can only be used with '65s and a
late '65 tele column could be used on a '66.  Is this correct?
Hey Steve - Don't Worry, just forget about it!
Both the steering box and the columns changed in mid-65.  (April/May?) The
standard early-65 column used a one-piece shaft that went  from the box clear to
the steering wheel. The Telescoping column used in early  production had a
dual splined coupling inserted in the column, about 14 inches  up from the box.
Both the column tip and the shaft tip from the box were splined  (The splines
are 5/8" x 36) and keyed, with a flat, to allow assembly and  consistant
"clocking of the wheel to the box. The change in mid-65 affected both  the standard
column and the Telescoping columns. An alignment coupling was added  in the
column. The front of the coupling had the same splined interface as the  solid
65 coupling. The back is a large bell shape with ha;lf-a-dozen parts added  to
adapt it to the newer design column. The shaft of the later column, (late 65s
 are physically the same as the 66), is 3/4" in diameter, compared to the
early  shaft at 5/8". The actual interface point on the early 65 tele column is
about  one inch closer to the steering box than on the late column .

Or was  the steering box the component that changed?  I seem to recall
from  one of Seth's knowledgeable posts that one year had a 14.5" shaft
coming  out of the steering box, and the other had a 15.5" shaft.  If
this is  correct, which was which?

Both changed. The 65 tele column steering box had the shorter input shaft,
the late 65-66 boxes (all) had the longer one.

Also, if all that changed was the steering box, can any tele column  be
used on a '65-66?  Or must the two components match  up?

You cannot use either a late (standard or Tele) column on an early
telescoping-column-unique steering box. The input shaft of the box will be too  short
and not engage the column.

You can use the early-65 telescoping column on a late 65-66 box. You will
need to use the dual splined coupling from the 65 set-up (I believe a functional
 repro of this part is available).
The complete column assembly will end up, when installed, one inch closer  to
the driver. Some folks love this, but you will still have the original  range
of adjustment available anyway. There are a couple of small "adaptation"
items to do if you perform this transplant. The firewall pattern is slightly
different, as long as you have all the 65 column mounting stuff along with the
column, you will be okay. Under the dash, the two vertical holes on  the column
mounting ears no longer line up with the holes under the  dash - they are off
by the same inch as the column is longer, But those are  adaptable as well.
The simplest way is to remove the mounting ears from the  column and use the
late-style clamp to retain the column.

Thanks in advance for your help. Steven

You're welcome - Seth