<VV>Sedans or Coupes???

Bill Elliott corvair at fnader.com
Fri Feb 3 17:23:58 EST 2006

airvair wrote:

>Bill,
>
>Apparently you don't know what the 3/4 angle is. It's looking at the car
>from the rear corner, where you can see both the side and back end at
>the same time. From this angle, the LM coupe shows a rounded roof,
>rounded backlite, rounded body, and a short hood/long rear deck. It's
>why I say it looks "slightly pregnant" and ill-proportioned.

I do know what the view is; that was just my way of saying that I
disagree with you. ;-)

I DO agree that the late model sedan is the best looking American sedan
ever produced; I just happen to think that the late coupe is one of the
best looking cars produced ever anywhere (and ranks with the E-type at
the top of the "in house designs" list). Just my opinion, of course. My
tastes run towards the Pininfarina school of thought...

>The best
>thing you can do to try to cure this is to add a Fitch Ventop, which is
>probably why John did it. At least HE has good taste! If you've ever met
>him, he's a real class act.

Have never met him, would love to. I like (but don't love) the Ventop.

>By contrast, there is NO wrong angle to the 4door. But it takes someone
>who has a good sense of proportion, or the art training, to realize
>THAT.

I'm not sure art training does much for good taste. ;-)

>BTW, one of the things I think would be neat to do is to take a 4door,
>remove all four doors, knock out the "B" pillar, mount a pair of coupe
>doors to it, then fill in the gap with the remains of a coupe quarter
>panel. Viola! A formal-roofline "coupe." You love 2doors, well how'd
>THAT be for you? The only thing that prevents me from doing it is trying
>to figure out what I'd do for quarter windows. LOL

We just have to differ here; the formal roofline is one of the thngs I
dislike in the sedan...

Bill