<VV> engine overhaul (technical)

Michael Kovacs kovacsmj at sbcglobal.net
Sat Feb 4 16:55:15 EST 2006

 I pulled the 140 engine from my Fitch. It was smoking
badly on the left bank. Upon dis-assembly it looks
like the oil control ring on the #2 was not aligned
properly. #2 exhaust was oil wet. I had installed the
#2,4,6 pistons and jugs about 3 years ago when I
dropped a #6 valve and trashed that side. The other
side is about #30 years old but only has about 6K
miles on it.

 There is no appreciable ridge and the +.060 cylinders
are still round and look good. I plan to reinstall all
the perfect circle rings that I very carefully
removed. I plan to run a 240 hone in each cylinder for
a few seconds to break the glaze and see if any
problem surface shows up.

 The pistons and con rods are being rebalanced to
assure the left side matches the opposing right side.
The bearings show virtually no wear pattern and will
be reinstalled.

 The machinist that is cleaning (ultrasonic) the
pistons and heads and repairing a spark plug hole with
a a time sert, warned against a collapsing used
piston. I am planning to replace the forged short
skirt #2,4,6 pistons with 3 used forged long skirt
pistons to match the style in #1,3,5. (I couldn't find
long skirt pistons 3 years ago)

 Any comments will be accepted. What I'm looking for
an answer that either says "sounds reasonable" or
"omagodno" or whatever. This is a senior div show car
and not abused.

 With a little luck I will be ready for the 2006
national. After 30 years the engine and drive train
deserved a through cleaning anyway.