<VV> Cam Bearings

Smitty Smith vairologist at verizon.net
Sun Feb 5 16:57:04 EST 2006

Smitty says:  I don't know what will turn up on the digest but I got plenty of personal answers to my question.  All the persons knowledgeable on aircraft engines noted that the standard procedure is to weld up the block journals and rebore them.  Every one also noted the expense of doing so.  Not what most of us are looking for.  The second most logical answer was to get the area on the cam bearing, metal sprayed. and turned down to specs for the block they were to be used in.  No one mentioned that they had any estimates of cost for that though.  The idea of building up the camshaft with chrome was not addresseed by anyone but me.  I will check that out on my own
  The thing that surprised me was that every post I got admitted that the problem exists but no one was doing anything about it.  Just shove a new cam in and go for it.
  Ideas were submitted like boring the block holes oversize and pegging in inserts machined to fit.  Or boring oversize and providing bushings with shoulders on the ends to hold them in place.  Good ideas if someone wants to become a millionare (or a thousandare).
  Best answer on line boring was---  Every line I write is boring.