<VV> Rust Devils

Duane, Jim (US SSA) Jim.Duane at it.BAESystems.com
Mon Feb 6 09:19:03 EST 2006

Hi Arjay.

	I've enrolled in an Autobody course at my local Technical High
School.  Highly recommended, BTW, if you have one in your area...
Anyway, I'm working on my '83 Grand Prix as a training tool to the
Corvair...  IMHO, long-term fixes for perforated metal is...metal!
	My previous "gorilla hair" fiberglass patch didn't work well The
driver's door had rusted lower door exterior metal and rusted inner door
frame to the point I had to cut the lower 2-3" off.  With the
instructor's direction I made patch panels for both the inner and outer
sheetmetal.  The edge fold is best started on a sheetmetal brake
(break?) and then hammered into place before welding.  I chose to use
adhesive to take care of the long seam of the skin but you could weld,
especially of the replacement patch is small.  A cut-off wheel makes
short work of removing bad door skin.
	If you put a lot of time in to the door previously this can save
your previous work and prevent future work.

Jim Duane
'66 180 Corsa CVT
Colonial Corvairs
CORSA