<VV> Kent Sullivan's power loss problem

by way of Harry Jensen <hljensen at comcast.net> Silveyyevlis at aol.com
Mon Feb 6 09:23:58 EST 2006

The loss of power as described seems to be almost identical to a problem
that I had with a 65 Greenbrier.  I finally traced the problem to the fuel
strainer sock on the end of the fuel pickup line in the fuel tank.

I connected an electric fuel pump to the fuel inlet line to the pump with
the engine pump disconnected. I pumped a gallon can full with no problem
and poured that gallon back in the tank and then turned the electric pump
on.  It pumped about a pint of fuel and then the flow stopped
completely.  I shut the pump off and waited a few minutes and turned it on
again and the flow was fine until I rocked the vehicle by alternately
pushing on the rain gutter.  With this rocking motion I could shut off the
fuel flow at will. This showed me why the engine would quit when the
vehicle was in motion and then start a few minutes later and run about five
miles before stopping again.

The problem finding and the solution was this:  I removed the fuel tank and
found a small amount of water and many rust flakes..In a steady state
condition the rust flakes would settle on the bottom of the tank but when
vehicle movement shook  them up they sere sucked over to the nylon fuel
sock along with the water and shut off the flow to the pump.

With a cleaned tank , no nylon sock on the pickup line but a filter before
the fuel pump the old Greenbrier ran many thousand miles including a trip
to Canada before going to the salvage yard ( a sad mistake). Consider
checking your tank and fuel pickup system.

Tom Silvey