<VV> Tape repair to leaking Powerglide shift cable sheath (transmission fluid)

JRVIDRINE at aol.com JRVIDRINE at aol.com
Mon Feb 6 12:12:32 EST 2006

Folks,

I am helping a fellow Corvair owner do some repair work on his 1961 700 4
door sedan.  We have a problem with the sheath on the shift cable leaking in a
couple of spots before you get to the tunnel cover.  This appears to be a couple
of dimples where someone stressed this, perhaps with some pliers.   I seem to
remember either seeing on VV or hearing from someone that they have had some
success in using a double backed (sticky on both sides) electrical type tape
in stopping transmission fluid leakage from the shift cable sheath.  Is that
correct?  If so, is there a particular type or brand of tape that is best.  If
this can't be used (or doesn't work), we will have to undo the cable inside the
car at the dash and run a piece of shrink wrap down to the point we have
discovered is leaking.  How difficult is that?

Randy Vidrine
Branch, LA