<VV> Tape repair to leaking Powerglide shift cable sheath (transmission fluid)

Wade Halsey hihal at adelphia.net
Mon Feb 6 12:36:11 EST 2006

Here are my notes on this subject gleened over the years from VV posts:

"Cable Leaks-  lc says to use "Right Stuff" by Permatex instead of silicone. Clean the cable
where you want to stop the leak, use the Right Stuff and put a 3/8 hose over the area and clamp.
I have also found the small seal in the throttle shaft is a real source of leaks. It is also
easy to fix but you need a method to adjust the throttle valve after assembly. The vendors sell
the tool.    Also relace the o'ring on the governor, the o-ring on the shift cable, the gasket
on the modulator, pan gasket, and tighten all the bolts between the trans and differential. You
should have a dry trans then. Bill Pierson
Is the Tech Guide method (using gas line hose, silicone sealer and clamps) the best way to
repair leaks in the PG cable? -- Remove and spotlessly clean the cable then use 1" heavy duty
shrink tube (1' lengths for $10) with RTV silicone in each end of the tube. Shrink the tube ends
first, then the middle. Ken Hand
Question about the shrink tubing for sealing PG cable leaks.  How a piece big enough to go over
the retainer fitting on the cable going to shrink enough to compress on the 5/16 diameter cable.
It doesn't seal by compression, it has sealant inside which melts. It shrinks from ~ 1.3" ID to
~0.28" ID and sealant oozes out when heated with a propane torch. Sold at Lowes for $11.00. The
description on the package is:

Gardner Bender HST-1300 UF Cable Splice Kit For 14-18 gauge cable"