<VV> Cam bearings

JVHRoberts at aol.com JVHRoberts at aol.com
Mon Feb 6 17:33:12 EST 2006

They do make split cage needle bearings. Two stroke outboards use them all
the time. However, I would not recommend them for this application  because:
1. Loss of oil pressure. These types of bearings hemmorhage oil like  there's
no tomorrow. There's no nice tight clearance to keep the pressure  in.
2. They are VERY intolerant of ANY kind of debris. Get a piece of ANYTHING
into one, and it's game over. A plane bearing is much more tolerant.
3. Overload a needle bearing, for whatever reason, case distortion, a
hammering lifter, whatever, and the bearing will also be short lived.

Building up the cam and boring the case is probably the simplest. Boring  the
case and fitting inserts is also a possibility. These would be the only two
I would consider.

In a message dated 2/6/2006 11:12:57 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,  chartzel at com