<VV> Valve stem seals

Tony Underwood tonyu at roava.net
Sat Feb 11 04:54:55 EST 2006

At 01:52 hours 02/10/2006, Jim McLott wrote:

>Two, in his excellent book, The Classic Corvair, Bob Helt
>speciffically does NOT recommend Teflon valve stem seals "because it
>may seal too well."  At the risk of starting a
>hot-adjust/cold-adjust war, what do other people on this list think
>about this?

I know not what course others may take, but as for me, I don't use
any valve stem seals at all.

The logic is that if the guides are in any shape at all, they're not
likely to pass that much oil in the first place.   The exhausts need
all the oil they can get, and the intakes which do have vacuum on
them still will have a hard time sucking much oil into the cylinder
if the guide is any good.

And the guide gets kept good by having some oil on it.   It's worked
for me for a long time.

Corvair engines simply don't suck up that much oil through the valve
guides unless they're worn out.   And if they are, new seals won't
fix much of anything.    Teflon seals can, in some cases, seal too
well and starve guides of oil and accelerate wear...  in some
cases.    I've used teflon seals before on other engines, had no
problems.   I've also used no seals at all on Vair engines, had no
problems.

Those of you who disagree, keep your pants on.  This is just the way
I do it and I'm a jackleg.   Don't assume I'm any authority.

tony..