<VV> Valve stem seals

Rad Davis rad.davis at comcast.net
Sat Feb 11 15:32:03 EST 2006

I don't use stem seals on Corvairs either.  The valve stems are below the
heads, and are up at the top of the rocker box where little oil gets
anyway.  I'm certain that I'd never use exhaust stem seals - exhaust guides
need all the lubrication and cooling help they can get, there's no
catalytic converter to poison, and the exhaust system is under mostly
positive pressure anyway.

Intake stem seals make a little more sense.  As far as I can tell, they
mostly exist to prevent the blue puff on startup when the vehicle is not
parked on level ground.  I have seen carbon caking on intake valves from
upright engines, but have not seen it on a Corvair.

If I went back into an engine 5 or 10 thousand miles after a rebuild, I'd
probably put intake seals on it if I had any around.  Otherwise, it would
be used until end-of-life teardown with no valve stem seals at all,  as all
my other freshened and rebuilt engines have been.