<VV> Dual Points-advantages?

Jim Burkhard burkhard at rochester.rr.com
Sun Feb 12 20:42:40 EST 2006

I think you mean lengthen the duration of the *dwell*.
Actual spark duration depends on more than that and won't
necessarily change.

Dual point distributors were kind neat 30+ years ago,
especially on 8 cylinder engines where the distributor cam
lobes (= dwell) get pretty short. Nowadays, any advantage
they used to offer is well surpassed by many electronic
ignitions, especially the ones that provide active dwell
control like Pertonix II and Safeguard (and Safeguard
carries a pile more feaures as well).  Not much reason to
run a dual point distributor anymore unless you want to
build the car as a retro-only race car or something.

best regards-