<VV> Re: VirtualVairs Digest, Vol 13, Issue 45

Padgett pp2 at 6007.us
Wed Feb 15 09:46:06 EST 2006

>One of our PPCC member bought a couple of the Binon fuel injected
>Corvairs.  The one with the 4 speed had a bearing in place of the
>bushing.  When he pulled the engine out, he had to get the end of the
>shaft metal sprayed and turned back to the correct size because the
>bearing had completely worn it out.

A roller bearing with an inner and outer shell should not do that unless
the shaft was spinning in the inner shell. Keep in mind that the shaft only
turns in the bushing when the clutch is depressed and the car is in gear.

Something is tickling my mind about being told to always shift into neutral
when stopping rather than holding the clutch in. I would expect a badly
slipping clutch to be worst case for the bushing since both the shaft is
turning and you are generating a lot of heat. Riding the clutch would have
the same effect.

Padgett