<VV> 64-69 Generator - Issue 47, Msg 3,4,5,7

WillSmithTFPOCAllenTexas TheFreshPrinceofCorvair at comcast.net
Wed Feb 15 14:39:00 EST 2006

Thanks to everyone for your help on the Integral Regulator Conversion
wiring. I now have what I needed.

Now let me blow your mind with info I used to present daily while
teaching Charging Systems at the GM Training Center for GM Dealer
Mechanics [it was more than most of them wanted, too]. Actually the
64-69 Corvairs came OEM with a Generator...it was a High Output at Low
RPM Diode Rectified Generator with 13+v DC output...it produced
alternating current that was rectified back to DC via Diodes [when
Chrysler introduced theirs in the early 60s they called it an
'Alternator' for sales/marketing advantage because it was so different
and the Alternator moniker stuck...kind of like Coke/Kleenex/Freon,
etc]. The old black Generator was a Low Output at Low RPM Commutator
Rectified Generator with 13+v DC output...it produced alternating
current that was rectified back to DC via a Commutator and the
Brushes...the addition of air conditioning and other accessories
created a need for a higher electric output at idle in traffic.
Everyone used the Alternator moniker but a true Alternator will have AC
at its output terminal and GM never had such a unit on a car during the
60s and 70s when I was teaching Charging Systems. GM did offer a 130a
generator on some trucks and on Cad Commercial Chassis [ambulances,
limos, etc] that had 3 AC terminals on its side [because it produced 3
phase electricity just like the Corvair unit does]...these could be
connected to a transformer that would boost the output to 110+v AC for
running medical equip, saws, emergency flood lights, etc. while the
vehicle idled at the job site/accident site/etc. The Integral Regulator
Generator is just like the Ext Reg unit so far as the Rotor and Stator
Windings are concerned ...GM just figured out a way to build a small
solid state regulator and mount it internally [had lots of failures
from the first regulators till they learned how to survive the high
temps inside the generator]. Corvair Generator Rotor shafts are reverse
threaded because of the engine rotation direction...if yours is std [
righty tighty] treaded it is not a Corvair Rotor...it will Gen just
fine though but the nut might loosen itself when the generator is
producing lots of output. [A note of little interest I'm sure...a 63a
Generator on a 500ci Cad at 500-600 rpm idle speed would stop the
engine DEAD when a full electric load test was applied...or destroy the
belt through slipping if it was not tight enough...it takes a LOT of
power to rotate a generator when it is producing high output [picture
hydroelectric at a dam]].

Now you know more than you ever wanted to know...don't say I never told
you anything! Maybe you can pass it on to a Car Crazy kid.

Thanks again for the help!
Will Smith, "The Fresh Prince of Corvair"