<VV> Rat Shack (not much Covair but some)

Padgett pp2 at 6007.us
Sat Feb 18 10:10:49 EST 2006

>It's sad that is the way things are going but hey, if I walk in a place and
>they don't have what I want and won't even order what I want, then I vote
>with my feet and my wallet.

"Think of it as evolution in action." The K-marts and Pep Boys and Radio
Shacks and Home Depots grew out of a market that wanted the lowest possible
price (possible with volume) for common parts. This meant that obscure and
low demand parts were often not found. Logistics and storage factors became
all-important.

Then the TV ads for "100 Country Hits" and a "100 volume set of Cats of the
World" showed you could sell items you did not have, had made based on
order, and deliver before peeople got too impatient eliminating the "Beer
Truck Problem".

When I was growing up, mail order was not often used because delivery took
so long. Today it is 3-5 days and companies like NetFlix deliver even faster.

The Internet changed everything and now "storefronts" are more
"switchboards" connecting suppliers with a single location to the entire
country. Instant ordering. Shipment tracking. Order-to-delivery in a few days.

I had forgotten about Mouser but can also recommend them though have not
needed for a while.

Hovever the demise of Rat Shack (and I understand that CompUSA, another
Tandy company, is not doing that well) is not surprising. The concept of
many many small stores just does not work anymore, the cost is just too
great. Anything people cannot find at the supercenters (Wal-Mart, Best Buy)
is going to be ordered from Amazon or the new e-Bay stores.

This is good for the Corvair hobby (knew there was some tie) because it has
permitted the growth of companies that were previously regional to national
and international. CU, Clark's, Year-One, Eastwood to name a few and is
reviving some traditional mail order companies like JCW that had not done
too well.

So we are evolving. Life goes on.

Padgett