<VV> LM clutch return spring question

John McMahon jmac2112 at adelphia.net
Sun Feb 19 19:58:42 EST 2006

I have a 1965 Monza coupe, and while I had the engine out, I performed the
operation described in the Tech Guide on p. 6 of the Transmission section
(Noise Reduction in Stick Shift, by Milton Binon).  Seems like it should
work, but now I have nowhere to attach the short spring (the one that
attaches to the bracket bolted to the body).  But what exactly is the
function of this spring?  It is not the return spring (that's the long one
attached to the differential), so what does it do?  Is it essential?  I know
that GM would not have spent the dime it cost them if they hadn't felt they
needed to.  I'd just like to know why they did!

Thanks,

John McMahon
1965 Monza coupe