<VV> Brake frustration

IntoCorvairs at aol.com IntoCorvairs at aol.com
Mon Feb 20 03:26:19 EST 2006

I have a '65 Corsa coupe.  I did a complete brake job as soon as I purchased
the car.  I replaced the following: brake shoes, wheel cylinders, hardware kit
and rubber hoses.  I also had the drums turned and bled the system.  All of
the metal lines appeared to be in excellent condition.  Test drive: Great rear
brakes; No noticable front brakes.  I put car on jack stands, spun each tire
by hand and had helper apply brakes.  Each wheel stopped with similar pressure
to brake pedal.  I then had a friend who is well versed in drum brakes remove
everything that I installed, inspect all parts and reassemble and bleed the
system.  No improvement.  Next, we tightened the front self-adjusters until we
couldn't turn the drums by hand.  Test drove: still no front brakes.  Then we
disconnected the rubber hoses (one at a time) to make sure that we were getting
a good shot of brake fluid through the hose and bled again.  Still no front
brakes!  After many inspections and brake bleedings, I installed a dual
resevoir MC.  WOW!  I now have "some" front brakes, but the rear still locks up with
a quick stab of the brakes and the rear squats heavily when braking.  Any
helpful advice that would give me great drum brakes would greatly be appreciated.

Stephen Bujtor
CORSA and CORSA SC
Inman, SC