<VV> Re: <> Which Direction Bellows Swivel? & Baffle

Jim Burkhard burkhard at rochester.rr.com
Mon Feb 20 12:52:55 EST 2006

EVERETT WILSON wrote:
> The Sheet metal Cylinder baffles are there to direct
> cooling air around the bottom of the cylinders

YES

> and to
> impede the overall flow-thru of the cooling air to
> allow it time to "pick up" as much heat as possible on
> the way through.

NO. Old wives' tale.

> They are held onto the bottom of the cylinders by two
> wire clips that snap into place.  They are very
> important for proper, even cooling of the cylinders.

YES

> Now, common sense says take them out and more air will
> flow through the engine and it will run cooler.

Yeah, you are right that this is faulty logic.  Properly
directing the flow allows it to be used more efficiently...

> However, according to what I have read and heard, the
> air would blow straight down past the cylinders and
> cool the sides of the cylinders, but not the top and
> bottom because the air wouldnt curve around.

YES.  They are probably very important for this.

> I also
> understand that if the air rushes past everything too
> fast, it doesnt have time to remove the heat as
> effectively.

NO. Old wives' tale.

In the end, I agree that they should be in place. They are
"a good thing".

Jim Burkhard