<VV> Long crank times after "rest"

Dr. James Waddell wadde001 at tc.umn.edu
Tue Feb 21 13:18:03 EST 2006

Although all the surface water in Minnesota is still
quite firm, I am thinking "spring" and taking the wraps
off my 1965 Monza Convertible (110 HP, PG).

She (Kitty) takes a long time to get going after a rest.
I can expect that after her long winter's nap, but even
after sitting overnight, I have to crank that starter
a long time before she fires up. I did try squirting a
little gasoline down the air cleaner towards the carbs,
and she fired up right away, but I kinda don't want to
do that on a regular basis. After she fires she runs great.

Can somebody with a lot more experience than me, give me
some advice. Is my fuel pump weak? Or do I need to do
something with the carbs? (They are perfectly balanced,
or at least they were a couple of years and maybe 1,000 miles
ago when I last checked.)

Thanks for your help.

Jim Waddell.
College of Veterinary Medicine