<VV> Long cranking time when asleep.

gary funkhouser old-is-gold at sbcglobal.net
Tue Feb 21 15:27:07 EST 2006

I have had this symptom on my 65 Monza auto for the past 25 years. I have rebuilt everything including a new tank, hoses etc. Have rebuilt the carbs at least three times. I work on Corvairs on a daily basis and every once and a while this problem crops up. I threw in the towell and installed an inline electric fuel pump just aft of the tank with an off / on switch. After setting a few weeks or all winter, I hop in flip the switch, listen for the pump to draw down turn it off and the car fires right up. This pump is also a back up for solving vapor lock in the summer or if the mechanical pump goes south. The one thing you have to watch for after pump failure is that the diaphragm isn't torn or the electric pump will fill the crankcase with fuel. You can hear the pump running rapidly with no reduction in pumping action if this occures.

  Gary Funkhouser
  Vintage Motorsports Services