<VV> Re: Cold air for Carbs

wblanning at adelphia.net wblanning at adelphia.net
Tue Feb 21 19:33:22 EST 2006

A picture of my cold air intake is on Bill Hubbell's site below.

http://community.webshots.com/photo/471979773/1471993245028689042UVooxB

It did require cutting a hole into the plenum where the voltage regulator used to reside before converting the alternator to internal regualtor.  The intake snout is from a Pontiac 4-cylinder air cleaner.  I installed the snout on a Corvair air cleaner housing and routed an air inlet tube directly to the plenum, using a turkey roaster fresh air outlet attached to the plenum.  Testing in the summer showed about 10 deg F cooler air inside the air cleaner as compared to stock setup.  I had made a similar mod years ago on another AC Corvair and was able to advance timing about 4 degrees (back to spec) without pinging problems.

Wade