<VV> Brent Covey's advice about fixing hard starting

Rburger rcbmc at bentonrea.com
Wed Feb 22 23:15:38 EST 2006

Just wanted to take the opportunity to publicly thank Brent Covey for his cogent, articulate, and for me at least, accurate advice about solving hard-starting problems. I have a '62 sedan with a 110/PG that has always started with less alacrity than I preferred, and, since replacing the engine a couple of months ago, had become a real bear. I attributed it to a weak accelerator pump and a leaky throttle shaft in one carb. Last night I put Brent's advice to the test. Removed the carbs and set up the choke pull off and high-idle specs exactly according to the book, and dialed in the (just as he predicted) decidedly flaccid choke operation so that when cold, those puppies snapped shut smartly when the throttle was opened. This morning, just as he directed, I put the pedal to the metal one time, removed my foot, and turned the key. The engine fired immediately and came up on high idle. And kept running! I can't describe how gratifying that was. Brent, you're my new hero. Those of you who have rebuilt carbs repeatedly and done all the other right stuff and still have hard starting, try the Covey Choke Check! Get the old "pump and grind" out of the garage and back in the... well, since this a family show, I'll just stop there. :-) Seriously, thanks Brent. Great advice.

Richard Burger