<VV> BG Services for Corvair powerglide transmissions

Norman C. Witte ncwitte at wittelaw.com
Thu Feb 23 16:52:02 EST 2006

Is this a situation where the factory is being overly cautious, to the
benefit of its dealers?  (Ok, so that last bit sounded a bit cynical, but
it's also true.)  The reason I say that is that I always understood the
Corvair Powerglide to be a particularly robust unit, and generally I thought
the rule for changing power transmission fluid was to smell it and look at
it on the dip stick.  If it's burnt, it's bad.  Otherwise, long may it wave.
I'm not saying that that is the shop manual approved approach but with so
many PG Vairs on the road I suspect that there is a lot of real world
support for my approach.  Of course, a more cautious approach is warranted
in dune buggies, Ultravans, and trucks that are actually used AS trucks
(don't know how much that happens any more, 'cept maybe tim coulson).

Norm Witte

mailto:vv-help at corvair.org
http://www.corvair.org/
Post messages to: VirtualVairs at corvair.org