<VV> E85 fuel (NO CORVAIR)

FrankCB at aol.com FrankCB at aol.com
Fri Feb 24 13:27:48 EST 2006

    While I see some value in considering NET energy, isn't the SELLING PRICE
per unit of energy what really matters?  If the oil producing countries
decide to raise the price per barrel from the current $60 to say $100 the NET
energy won't change at all.  After all,  they raised the price 35 years ago from $3
to $30.
    I see a similar thing happening with the current prices for natural gas
and electricity.  For many years, the price I paid for natural gas was about
1/4 of the price for electricity based on energy content.  Recently, however,
the natural gas price is nearly HALF of the electric price.  Taking into account
the relative efficiencies (my old gas-fired furnace is probably sending 40%
of the natural gas energy up the chimney while electric heat is 100% efficient
since NO energy goes up the chimney) it's nearly getting to the point where
electric heat is approaching natural gas heat on a PRICE basis.
    Since E-85 has about 70% of the energy value of gasoline (on a gallon
basis), E-85 at $2 per gallon is equivalent to $2/70% = $2.86 for a gallon of
gasoline.  This is assuming the same engine burns either fuel.  If the engine is
modified (higher CR or higher boost or more timing, et al.) to benefit from
the higher octane of E-85, it will do a more efficient job of utilizing E-85's
lesser energy content to narrow the mpg difference between the 2 fuels.  In
addition, the much greater cooling effect of evaporating E-85 in the intake tract
would serve to produce an intercooling effect on a boosted engine.  Sort of
like water-alcohol injection but without the water.<GGGG>
    The governor of NY State (George Pataki) has recently announced a program
to put alternative energy fuels like E-85 at service stations along the NY
State Thruway.  In addition, plans are underway to construct a ethanol fuel
plant in southern NJ, so maybe we will finally begin to see some E-85 for sale in
the Northeast.
    Frank "prefers to give my $ to Joe Corncob than to Osama Muhammed"
Burkhard

In a message dated 2/23/06 9:20:45 AM Eastern Standard Time,