<VV> alternators

James Davis jld at wk.net
Sat Feb 25 18:45:00 EST 2006

John,
One wire means one wire from the output post of the alternator to the
battery/ electrical load.  No other wires are needed as the internal
regulator is self-energized and referenced.  If you want to hook it
up like GM designed the system with a reference voltage and battery
energization, you need to use the #1 and #2 post. on the top of the
alternator.   The post closest to the front of the car with the
alternator installed is the energiziation wire and should be hooked
to the lead from the dash light.  The rear post goes to the "red
thingy" (voltage reference stud) as a voltage reference.  You could
also buy Bob Helt's newest book for a more detailed answer or just
look in the Tech Guide for more ideas and pictures on wiring of
alternators.  Both are great references for the do-it-yourself
guy.  <Now wasn't that sweet ;-)?>
Jim Davis