<VV> alternators

Brown, David David.Brown at bsci.com
Sat Feb 25 19:18:50 EST 2006

John,
For the new alternator with internal voltage regulator, you will need to
jumper the 4 wires at the voltage regulator, as per the Tech Guide & Bob
Helt's book (as Jim Davis) stated.  I wanted to keep an original look,
so I bought a solid state voltage regulator (from one of our vendors) &
removed the innards, keeping the 4 posts intact.  Then I simply jumpered
the correct posts with some spare wire on the inside of the regulator (1
to 4, and 2 to 3) & plugged the stock cable back into the newly jumpered
voltage regulator.  I even kept the condenser attached to the voltage
regulator, so it looks stock.  Then, on the alternator end, I carefully
removed the wires from the original plug (using a small jeweler's
screwdriver to bend back the 'catch tabs') and reinserted them into the
new plug (after removing the new wires).  My wires were in good
condition and I did not want to have to cut & splice so it looks more
original (and cleaner).
Dave
Corvair Houston