<VV> Re: Dexron in brake system ??

Gary Swiatowy mopar at jbcs2.net
Sun Feb 26 08:24:09 EST 2006

OK, there has been much discussion about Dextron in the brake system.
Years ago when I worked in a garage, and did state motor vehicle
inspections. I cannot tell you how many cars we failed as part of the
inspection was checking the level of the brake fluid, and when removing the
cap found the cap seal was destroyed due to either motor oil or transmission
fluid being put into the system.
We would inform the car owner that the entire brake system had to have
master cylinder and wheel cylinders (or calipers) replaced or rebuilt, and
front and rear hoses replaced.
We would have customers deny putting oil in there, have them claim it was
somone else, and a few admitting just topping the cylinder off. so we
wouldn't charge them for doing so.

And we had even found over the years leaky wheel cylinders and swollen hoses
due to someone saving a few pennies.

DOT specifies certain fluids in the brake system, they do it for a reason,
http://www.carcarecouncil.org/Brakes/brake_fluid.shtml

If you use something other than what you should, I would be willing to bet
that in the event of an accident investigation you would be found liable.

Gary Swiatowy