<VV> engine ticking- I need your opinion

Sethracer at aol.com Sethracer at aol.com
Mon Feb 27 10:32:12 EST 2006

In a message dated 2/27/2006 3:50:50 AM Pacific Standard Time,
BobHelt at aol.com writes:

Assuming  that you adjusted the lifters correctly, you probably have a
sticky
or dirty lifter. First, I'd suggest an oil and filter change. Then  I'd  run
the car on the freeway for 10 miles or so. If you still have  the ticking,
you
could try a can of stuff from the FLAPS. if the  ticking is still there,
replace the lifter.
Regards,
Bob  Helt

By - "a can of stuff" Bob probably means the Engine cleaners like Bardahl,
Kreen, and many others (Is Marvel Mystery oil also one of these?). Some are
called "Top engine cleaners" and go in the gas to clean, primarily, the
combustion chamber. You need one that is designed to add to the oil. (Some  products
say that they can go into either location). They are really  concentrated oil
detergents and will tend to loosen up lots of stuff inside the  motor - Not
always a good thing!! But if you are sure the cold adjustment is  correct and,
perhaps, have tried a hot adjustment, You might as well give it a  try. I
second the cautionary note that the engine may have to get fully warmed  up to
allow enough oil through the lifters to fully "pump them up"  -Seth