<VV> Re: Ticking noise/"FLAPS" stuff

Mike Ioanes mioanes at woh.rr.com
Mon Feb 27 13:25:51 EST 2006

----- Original Message -----
From: "Dr. James Waddell" <wadde001 at tc.umn.edu>
To: <virtualvairs at corvair.org>
Sent: Monday, February 27, 2006 1:02 PM
Subject: <VV> Re: Ticking noise

> I too have a ticking, and I know it is a sticky lifter. It even
> broke a rocker and bent the pushrod once! What is this "FLAPS"
> stuff? I would like to try it before I go to all the trouble
> of replacing the lifter. (How big a deal is it to replace a lifter anyway?
> I'm by no means an expert, but I'm willing to learn! I replaced the rod
> and rocker, but was afraid to go into the guts.)
>
> ('65 Monza 110, 'vert, PG)
Jim, a product I have used is Rislone.  It's available, at least in Ohio, at
discount stores as well as your "F"riendly "L"ocal "A"uto "P"arts "S"tore.
There are other brands, and some people even suggest a quart of ATF.  I've
never changed a lifter myself (it's the only job I paid someone else to do)
but if it (they) will come out, it's no harder than changing pushrod tube
o-rings.  Some others on the list have reported problems getting them to
slide out.

Hope this helps,
Mike Ioanes